Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Dragon Festival

So this past week was an adventure. I tried to get a group of kids together to drive up to valencia to see las fallas (basically, there´s a whole bunch of really massive paper mache statues, like the size of entire buildings, and at midnight they stick firecrackers in the base of the statues and light them on fire. Appparently, it´s like they blow up the whole city) But people bailed on me last minute and so instead I went to the Alpujarras with laney to see the dragon festival. The dragon festival was kind of this weird mix between a punk festival, a rave and woodstock. No joke. There was a section called ¨The Red Dragon¨which is were all the punks and ravers and other scary people were (the ravers were scarier than the punks because they were on more drugs). Never in my life have I ever seen such blatant dealing before. I hope to never see anything like that again. Then a little farther into the valley was a section called ¨The Green dragon¨which was filled with some really dippy hippies. I mean, european hippies look a whole lot like american hippies, except they´re without a purpose. All they want to do is smoke pot and talk about how messed up the world is. I had a marvelous conversation with a man from the UK named Tree (yeah, I know, and he actually looked like a tree too!) about respecting women as people with immense power and how everyone is connected as brother and sister and so we should treat everyone as if we were related and that we should share our wealth with eachother. And so at the end he pulls out this ridiculously expensive Sony Digital videocamera (i know it was expensive because I had looked at the same model before I left for spain) and starts taking videoshots of me. and I didn´t say anything, just smiled but on the inside I was really angry. How can this man say one thing and do the exact opposite! It´s like some people just like to dress up and play hippie, but when it comes down to it, they´re just the same as everyone else.
I did have a decent time though. Last night laney and I walked around the Red dragon for a bit. We saw a celtic violinist just chilling out and playing some music so I got up and danced to that, which was a lot of fun. We also saw this incredible punk band. THe bassist looked exactly like david bowie! and the lead singer was this older woman, she could´ve been someone´s grandma, but the things she was singing about were absolutely contradictory (one of the songs was called ¨are you fucked up, jenny?¨) It was a riot, but also really cool at the same time. All in all I´m glad I went because it was an experience. and now I know that I don´t have to go back there if I don´t want to. Which at this point, I really don´t want to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home