Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Civilization and Culture exam

The Civilization and Culture exam that I took was really quite interesting. I had gotten into a bit of a discussion about the youth of spain (and the rest of the world) with my professor earlier in the semester,and I guess he wanted to hear more about it. So the exam was jjust an article photocopied from the newspaper about the newly found statistics about the youth. Stuff like the majority are against capital punishment, most don´t vote by party but rather by candidate etc... He just gave us this article and a sheet of paper and that was it. So i just wrote my response to it. I hope that´s what he wanted.
Mainly, I think that articles that are written about the youth that say things like ¨the youth is more apathetic then their parents¨ just causes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If we think that we are apathetic, then it´s like, why should I even bother if I´m the only one who cares? Furthermore, The article noted that we have no motivating idols, that we are surrounded by trash tv and crappy music without meaning. I sort of agree in that I think we´re just sitting around waiting for some revolutionary to come along like MLK jr or John Lennon to motivate us. But I think that´s just silly because MLKjr and John Lennon were just normal people with the same 24 hours a day as everyone else. So why are we waiting around for some superhero to come rescue us? We need to rescue ourselves.
Being in spain has really made me realize that although I´m surrounded by a different culture, different language and a different history, things are still the same. The older generations are still bitching about the younger ones being disrespectful and unmotivated. The political science majors are the ones doing all the organizing, the psychology majors do all the analyzing and the hippies just look the part and smoke pot. Everyone´s a little apathetic, but I think all we really need is a good prod of reality and everything will be on its way. Once you get people talking, they´re really not so apathetic after all, it´s more that they feel helpless, and that helplessness is a terrible feeling. So to cure themselves of it, they just don´t want to know. It´s apathy, but its a normal reaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home