Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Dinner party, Belville trio, exams and the future

Amanda had a dinner party last night at her new apartment in the upper albayzin. The view from up there is incredible, it´s completely different than the rest of the city because it faces away from the city center. From her roof you can see the mountains, and a hill with a church on top, with cows, chickens and horses. Seriously. It´s about a twenty minute walk from my apartment, and all up hill but definitely worth it. Laney made this incredible couscous dish, Mike made some type of chicken and honey sauce and anna made pasta, that really got stuck to the bottom of the pot and took us forever to clean off!
Afterwards I went out with Laney and Sarah and Rob to see the Belville Trio. Honestly, was one of the best concerts I´ve seen in a while. i met a girl there from Mallorca, who was pretty emphatic about dancing even though the bar was incredibly packed. It´s strange how much I´ve recently come to realize how much music is an important role in my life. I´ve been going through some emotional troubles the past week and just hearing some familiar music made it all go away. This was especially incredible because both my ipod and my laptop are not functioning at the moment, and so I´ve been going without any familiar music for about a month now. Very tough.
This coming week I´ve got midterms, and so unfortunately i´m going to lock myself away in my apartment forever. Of course, that´s probably not really going to work, but that´s the plan. 5 exams in 3 days. yucky. And I have to write my thesis proposal for next sunday. I´m thinking I´m going to do it on culture shock, especially since I´ve got a pretty awesome contact with the psychologist here in granada.
I´ve been doing a lot of thinking about what I want to accomplish this summer, and i think my best bet is to go to mexico and work with CIDHAL, a feminist lobbyist group (www.cidhal.org). The womyn´s center at hamilton might fund me, which would be amazing. Jess went last year, and so I¨m hoping to just build off of what she did. We will see. All I know is i´m not ready to go back to the states just yet, and I don´t really want to get a crappy promotional modeling job. These times are just too valuable to waste doing something I don´t want to be doing just for money.
we will see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home