Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Goodbyes and an exam on Cervantes

My friend gustavo from Argentina left today. Last night, his housemates threw him a going away party. I walked up there for part of the night, but kept feeling like i should study for my 16th century lit exam and my art history exam. I had bought Gustavo a 4 foot plastic sunflower,which i knew he would appreciate, and so I wrote him a little poem on an index card:

¨Our lives are the stories we tell ourselves
imaginary, drawn like the lines between the stars
To be a revolutionary is to chang the life of one person
because the Universe is simply a room full of friends
and Eternity is this very moment.¨

I left at around 1am, shantal and nicolas cursing at me because they knew gustavo would´ve wanted to say goodbye. But I just couldn´t stay, I was too worried and upset to really stay out that late. And besides, my 16 century literature exam was at 8:30am, and my art history exam at 10. brutal.

So later, at around 230am, I get a phone call from gustavo, who sounded like he was in tears and pretty upset that i wasn´t there. He said he was going to Morocco to live for I don´t know how long. Later I found out that he doesn´t have a real passport, and so I´m really worried about him. But then again, he´s a grown up, he can fend for himself I suppose.

My 16th century literature exam was absolutely brutal, especially since she really didn´t mention anything about it before hand, just that we had one and that we should know everything. So when I arrive at class, the professor isn´t even there, it´s just some random guy who passes out a piece of paper and then an excerpt from the Cervantes. I immediately recognize it as the prologue, but of course we didn´t go over it in class, and it´s written in impossible rennaisance spanish. At first I didn´t panic because I thought that I could just use my dictionary to look up the words i didn´t know. No such luck. Dictionaries were not permitted. The exam was 7 essay questions, all pertaining to the prologue that was given to us, and so I don´t think I did too poorly mainly because I just answered the questions as best I could. I wrote a nice little essay at the end when she asked us to name some other works of the rennaisance. I wrote about what each of the works had in common (mainly that they were all humanistic, rather than teocentristic aka based off of the power of humanity rather than god) and that each is a social commentary embedded within the work. Hopefully i´ll get some credit for that. we´ll see.

Laney stayed at Gustavo´s party, and so she looked dead when she showed up for our music history exam. In retrospect, even though I wish I had stayed to say goodbye, i´m glad I left because I knew everything on the exam and felt really well prepared for it. I think I did well. I hope she did well too.

As far as my other exams go, we´ll see. My 20th century literature exam was absolutely horrible. Silly me for actually studying literature and literary movements, one of the questions actually was, and i quote ¨what was antonio machado´s nickname?¨How should i know? but I can tell you why his poetry demonstrates a conflict between humanistic and religious themes. Bah!
POE was kind of difficult, just really long. I couldn´t finish, but neither could anyone else. So i´m not too worried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home