Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Monday, April 17, 2006

Whats worse than a broken foot?

A broken foot when you´re in granada! I can´t believe my luck! Basically it all started when I went up to my friend´s house before a jazz show. We were goofing off barefoot on the roof (the best place to be when its 80 degrees and sunny) and we decided it was time to head down to the show. So someone(I can´t quite remember who) thought it would be a good idea to put a full bottle of beer in a broken plastic bag. So of course the bag breaks even more and the beer falls through and shatters on the floor. At first I thought I was lucky because I had my shoes on. But no, the glass went right for my foot. Everyone was so frantic about broken glass and beer being everywhere (my friend´s parents were about to arrive) that i slinked off to the bathroom unnoticed. I knew immediately that something was wrong with the placement of the cut, but I didn´t know exactly what. It just felt like I had cut my foot on a piece of glass. My friend´s sister eventually found me, and a bunch of people helped me wrap it up. I walked to the plaza on it, it hurt a bit, but nothing more than a usual cut. We ran into my friend´s parents at the plaza, who then frantically told me to sit down and go to the hospital. Everyone thought they were overreacting. I tried to walk down to Laney´s, but the hills were too steep and they hurt my foot even more. Some of the guys who were with me got frustrated and drunkenly decided to carry me down, which I appreciated as much as I despised. We arrived at Laneys, who then helped me apply butterfly bandaids and an ace bandage, and Matt had a car so we all left and went to the show.

The next morning, I couldn´t really walk, and so I knew something was really wrong. I called the API office and they told me to meet them at the hospital. The doctor took one look at my foot and scolded me for not coming in sooner. Apparently he could tell immediately, just by looking at it, that I had broken a tendon. Lovely. They operated on my foot, which hurt like hell. I tried to be really strong and not cry about it (the fact that I broke a tendon, aside from the fact it hurt like hell)but the timing just couldn´t be worse. It´s my last few weeks here in granada and i´m restricted to crutches! The worst part about it, in my opinion, is the ironic way in which i have to inject myself every day with blood thinner. I say it is ironic because usually my mother has to chase me around the house when it is time for my flu shot. I´m terrified of needles. It takes me a good hour or so to psychologically prepare myself to inject myself, but I´ve been getting it done. I told my mom that when i get back to the states i´m going to pierce my belly button because really i´ve pierced it 10 times already and so i know exactly how it´s going to feel!

That all happened last week. I´m feeling a little bit better now: I went to the doctor this morning, who told me that I had two more weeks with the cast. I wanted to kill him, but I know it´s not his fault. Some of my friends have been absolutely wonderful. I took a cab to a cafe and hung out with Laney and sara on saturday. Gavino met me on the sidewalk infront of my apartment and we had a drink at a cafe. Others have been calling me and leaving me text messages, which is wonderful especially since I get really bored lying in bed all the time. Others have not been so great. I haven´t really talked to anyone who was there when it happened, they all seem to be MIA.

And incase you´re wondering. The jazz show was awesome.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor baby! That sucks so much. I just remembered about your blog when you sent out the S.A.V.-directed email. Get better soon and enjoy your last few weeks.

What are your summer plans?

Tori

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home