Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

El Mar, El desierto. 5/26/06

Fled to el mar. Granada is a desert which cries while it sings. To soothe the soul is to seek light and water. And so we did. We rented a car and headed west. And now I'm sitting here on what is literally the most western point of europe. The atlantic is a huge vertical drop below me, my feet inches away from the ledge. In ancient times it was forbidden for humans to sit here after sunset. they believed that it was territory of the gods. Romans believed that wne the sun set over the water, the fire would cause the water to boil. Until Cristopher Columbus's trip, this was considered the end of the world. Sitting here, watching the sunset, I can see why they believed it. It was not ignorance nor stupidity. It is quite convinsing. If you look hard enough you can see the shadow of the setting sun behind the water. There are no signs of life farther than the horizon. Ava believes there are magnetic energies in blessed zones of the world. Laney believes in an omnipotent god. All I know for sure is this place had to look like this. Not by Gods will nor by the magnetic energy but rather because if this land did not look like this, with sudden cliffs and flaming sunset, the world wouldn't be the same. This spot I am sitting has been the same for so many years. It had to look like this then and it must look like this now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home