Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

mphhh

I'm sitting in the API office, waiting for them to come help me print out my paper. Waiting waiting waiting. I've been waiting for about an hour. Might kill someone. There is a girl flipping out about some facebook picture. I sound really obnoxious right now, but man I really just hate the way english sounds. Ok enough:
My exam this morning was for my civilization and culture class. The class is completely made up on the spot, and I could probably teach it. If the professor wasn't so amusing, i would've dropped it. Anyway, he gave us our partial exams back today (the day of the final exam). The exams are really strange. Basically he just photocopies an article from the newspaper (last time it was how the youth of today have no direction/future etc) and we have to write for 1.5 hours about it. So this time it was an article about the coke usage of adolescents under the age of 18. So i'm sitting there thinking, well great, we haven't talked about this in class, the only things I know about drugs are from my neuroscience class and my adult psychopathology class. So naturally I wrote about them. basically I gave all the social reasons I know of that would cause someone who, despite knowing the consecuences of using drugs, still uses them (ie: social pressure, low self image, the desire to be accepted, poor family environement, depression, poor education, poverty, the media etc) It was fun to write in spanish (sarcastic) because we weren't allowed to use dictionaries, so I have no idea if it made any sense. But basically my main point was that the drastic drug usage in my generation is not a result of us being "bad apples' but rather a result of societial pressures/actions which cause us to desire the effects/image of drug usage. I talked about how I know that when I talk to my friends about all the stuff I've learned about the effects of coke (the fact that you're chance of having a heart attack is nearly tripled in the first 10 minutes of being on coke) and ecstacy (the fact that habitual usage will lead to depression and, to put it simply, it eats holes in your brain) and the fact that I'm telling them (as a peer as opposed to an authority figure) helps them resist the social pressure to use/continue using these drugs. But sadly most of my friends are from my college. And that means we are from a selected demographic (specifically rich suburbanites) and that i really don't know about how much someone like me could affect other demographics.
Moving on from drugs:
We were also supposed to hand in a paper about a movie today. I wrote it, I had one of my friends edit it, but unfortunately by the time it was finished, I was unable to print it. Basically I wrote about how the movie shows that women immediately after the spanish civil war had to deal with surviving in a hostle environment (hostle against both their sex and hostle because of the political conflict). Surviving this hostility caused the women to bond in a way that american women have not: they could see that despite their politiical differences, women were the ones who had to absorb most of the shock of war: they had to figure out how to continue to survive in the household.
This is the paper that I was waiting to print. I'm going now to hand it in (!!) ahh! more later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home