Musings in Granada and elsewhere

Typical American college student in Granada Spain. These are my adventures, thoughts and stories.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Cada Dia Mas Aqui que Alli, United States

I travel often.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

loose ends

Woke up feeling strangely content. It's the third day in the row in which I've woken up almost alright with the idea of going home. Today is wednesday, my last wednesday in Granada. I feel kind of like I'm emerging from a wonderful dream, happy that it happened, sad that it's over. Remembering funny things about the last days of my friends: the party at Sara and Laney's house where we invited everyone we've ever met and they all showed up, where Matt lit fireworks off of the terrace and we all thought the house was going to burn down, when the cops came they just looked at us and rolled their eyes... The BBQ at amandas, where although there were only 4 or 5 americans, it was the most american party i've been to. where we had a danish man singing american blues and tom waits covers. Where we had a french cook burning the hotdogs...Rachel teaching the spanish girls how to belly dance, the bar where we switched outfits halfway through the night, where we wandered down the street and picked up some pijo guys singing flamenco and drinking gin, where we went to tantra bar but only stayed 5 minutes before it closed, when we got shwarma, ditched the gin drinking flamenco singing pretty boys and rachel corrected the Shwarma employee's arabic... Salsa dancing with Kenji...Icecream with Kim.... Dinner with Gustavo... Touring Portugal with Laney... all these wonderful endings that perfectly tie up the loose ends. And then I realize, I am the last loose end. There is no one left but me. Of course I have new friends here now, wonderful people I have met, but the chapter of "study abroad" in my life had officially closed on May 20th when everyone else left. I'm glad I stayed because I know now that Granada will always be here, even when all the people I've met are gone, there will always be more people to meet and become friends with. Granada is one of those cities that has a strange magnetism. There's this field of psychology that studies the way in which things vibrate. For example, the color orange vibrates at a higher frequency than the color blue. Also people can vibrate at frequencies: those who vibrate at similar frequencies attract eachother. Perhaps cities can vibrate too. i think it means something that we all met here. And so I've come to the decision that I have to go home. Either go home or stay forever. One thing is for sure: I'm coming back and I will stay longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home